Wednesday 14 October 2015

Oh the places you will go & Fave Five with My Captured Life

We were so excited to have Shelley from 
over at {CLICK}STYLE to guest judge.
She picked the fantastic theme of 
{oh the places you will go}
We saw so many amazing images that week, we 
know this theme would be a blast.

Top 4 winners of {oh the places you will go}







Fave Five by Shelley Reis of My Captured Life

From the moment I found Shelley's work I knew I was going to be a big fan of hers.
She has a way like no other of combing everyday moments and artistic details. 
And she might just have the cutest kids around!!
If you don't already know her work, jump over to her page and give leave her
some love. 

Perhaps I love the story behind this one more than the photo itself but I just had to include it. My son, 4, was so worried about his little sister that he waded out with his shoes still on to make sure that his fearless, part-Mermaid sister was safe as she ventured out to watch the seagulls. This is a big deal for a kid who's scared of water. It just goes to show the bond of siblings. 

I chose this image because I call myself a documentary photographer and so many of my images are of life's ordinary moments. I love taking the mundane and turning it into something artistic so I just had to pick one of my favourite 'ordinary moments'. While we were rushing around trying to get everyone dressed and ready for the day I spotted my son bouncing, 4,  completely carefree up and down the hall. He had been sent to his room to find shoes to wear. For no particular reason on this warm, dry day he chose gumboots. Yes, this is four.


I am a advocate for the self portrait. It's only been in the last year that I realised I had so few photos of myself and began on a mission to get in front of the camera more often. In this particular instance it was my daughter's first birthday and I wanted something special to remember the day by. 

I just had to include this image because it is one of the very first images I took that I was truly proud of in every way. I also just love the pure joy of my boy, then 3, swinging under the sprinkler on a hot Summer's Day with not a care in the world. 

I am a sucker for the details so had to include a details image in my favourite five. I just love this image - the contrast between my partner's manly hands and my daughter's soft, petite toddler hands makes my heart swell.






No comments:

Post a Comment